What is an Iwi Support Worker?
An Iwi Support Worker (ISW) works with a community-based caseload of 1:15. Their primary function is to provide service coordination which is based on individual needs of tangata whaiora. Iwi Support Workers work in partnership with tangata whaiora and their identified support networks—this can be either whanau, friends and or clinicians.
What can an Iwi Support Worker do?
Iwi Support Workers will assist and support tangata whaiora to
- Maintain their well-being
- Assisting tangata whaiora and / or whanau to understand and manage their illness
- Seek community integration and meaningful social activity
- Seek Employment
- Advocacy—with whanau, courts, WINZ, Housing New Zealand etc
How do I get referred to Whare Tiaki Hauora Iwi Support Servics?
Completion of a Whare Tiaki Hauora Iwi Support Service Application.
- Tangata Whaiora can only be referred via their Community Mental Health Centre’s, Key Workers, GP, Psychiatrist or CLS worker’s.
What are the service entry criteria?
Have a confirmed Axis 1 Diagnosis i.e, Schizophrenia, Bi-polar etc
- Aged between 17—64 years
- Living in the Counties Manukau District
- Identified Clinical Support Team
- Completed Referral Form
What are clients rights?
Tangata Whaiora Rights to A Quality
As Tangata Whaiora receiving any Mental Health Service, you have the right to be treated with dignity and respect. Other rights include:
- Right to privacy
- Right to receive effective communication
- Right to be fully informed
- Right to make informed choices and give informed consent.
What is a ‘Needs Assessment’?
An individualized support plan is an assessment of your ‘needs, which is a document that is created between you and your Iwi Support Worker. This plan ensures that your needs are being met, and that you are meeting your goals. This support plan is reviewed every three months so that as things change in your life, so can your support plan.
Do I have to be Maori to receive this service?
No—Whare Tiaki Hauora Iwi Support Services are open to anyone regardless of ethnicity, gender, race, culture, disability, religion and sexuality, open to the acknowledgement, acceptance and practice of Kaupapa Maori.
What Does Kaupapa Maori Service Provider mean?
Whare Tiaki Hauora provides its service delivery in Kaupapa Maori practices from Powhiri to Poroporoake, Kawanatanga to tino rangatiratanga, and from tangata Whenua to Manuhiri.
We rely strongly on the principals of Te Tiriti O Waitangi, Tikanga Maori — Partnership, Protection and Participation to ensure adherence to practicing and maintaining a strong focus on